There is a lot of history surrounding Waitikiri, going back to 1860 when a Mr John McLean bought the land from the New Zealand Land Company. But the real history began on 20 April 1937 when a group of keen supporters of Canterbury Golf led by A R (Ray) Blank formed the Waitikiri Links Ltd, to purchase the land that was to become the Waitikiri and Bottle Lake Golf Clubs. Also involved in this group of original shareholders were S J Holland (later NZ Prime Minister) and J R McKenzie (later a knight and well known philanthropist).
The clubs were granted long term leases which gave them security of tenure. During this period and through to 1991, the Club purchased shares in the Links Company as they came available which eventually gave the Club a holding of approximately 50%. The club owes a debt of gratitude to two stalwarts of the Club, Messrs J E Mercer and E R Casbolt who were instrumental in the purchase of these shares. Moving forward to 1991 the shareholders resolved to liquidate Waitikiri Links Ltd and our club took the freehold of our course in exchange for our shares and the Blank Estate became the owner of the Bottle Lake Golf Course.
In 1997 the management structure of the Club was changed with the appointment of Trustees and a Board of Directors. The men’s and women’s match committee structure continued.
It 1999 it was decided to replace the Clubhouse and Professional’s shop at a cost of about 1.5 million dollars. Other significant financial events were the sale of 21 sections by No. 6 and 7 fairways and the purchase of adjoining land to redevelop No. 4 and No. 5 holes. This work was completed in 2005.
The Course
Over the years there have been many major changes on the layout of the course. Originally No. 2 was what is now No. 15; No. 18 (the practice green by the carpark) was No. 9 green and No. 7 was the 18th hole with the green where No. 8 tee is. Mercers Corner (No. 13) and Goff (No. 14) were developed. Other major changes were the development of the practice area and the extension of No. 18.
In the early 1970s the drainage of the course was terrible and was vastly improved by trenching through the Bottle Lake swamp and pumping out to the Styx River. Before this was done the course was often unplayable for extended periods, entering the winter. In the early 1980s a comprehensive watering system was installed, vastly improving the course. The appearance and playability of the course has been improved over the years by the removal of many trees (mainly pine) and the planting of many new trees, ornamentals and different and more attractive varieties. The removal of the concrete pond in front of No. 17 green was much appreciated by members.
Ongoing investment in the course has occured in recent years. In 2022/3 over five kilometers of tree roots were cut, 14 fairways were scarified and reseeded, and numerous shading trees have been removed. 
A major investment to improve the drainage on the 18th fairway is planned for 2023/4.